Saturday 20 October 2012

Take a look at some of my vintage dresses....

I love to dress up!!!
Get the look and Tips

Scene 1: Portobello Road, past the bridge, on a Friday, there is a vintage market selling beautiful clothes.
Scene 2'Boo's closet', a second hand shop on Kensington Park Road, Notting Hill. You have to really rummage around in this shop but she has an ecclectic mix of shoes,clothes and jewellery from another time.
Scene 3:My grandma's wardrobe (worrth searching any of your older relatives pad for sentimental pieces.) 
Scene 4: 'Beyond Retro' vintage shop on Carnaby St W1. My favourite vintage shop as its small but selective in what they choose to stock. I always leave here with at least one vintage gem. Tip: Have an idea of what you want before you start to look through the clothes. Its less daunting and that way you can narrow down the search.
Scene 5: Cancer Research, Westbourne Grove. Charity shops are an old haunt of mine since I was a teenager growing up in the suburbs. Tip: Again, a good rummage is needed. I do find that the more affluent areas in London have a better quality of stuff. But you will find the clothes are more expensive...so it's a catch 22. I always pop in to any charity shop wherever I am in london as you just never know. You would be a fool to walk on by.
Scene 6: 'Beyond Retro' . Tip: Even though this dress is a few sizes too big, the belt pulls it in around the waist. So even if you feel as though the dress is too large, try it on anyway. You can always add a belt to if it doesn't come with one. Or get it taken in. If it's vintage, it's worth it.
Scene 7: 'Retro Clothing' 56 Notting Hill Gate. I don't just shop in Notting Hill! However, it is a good place to start if you are looking for one off vintage pieces. This dress was full of holes and the zip was broken. Bought for just £20 its totally worth fixing it up after you bought it. I often look for the colour I want first before I start rummaging through rails of clothes as this narrows it down and saves time. And then I feel the fabric. The texture is everything. 
Scene 8: Thrift shop, Brooklyn, New York. I went here with my boyfriend a few years back and Brooklyn is full of second hand stroes- a lot of them are huge. Worth the short cab ride over the bridge to check out these places. Tip: If the store is too big, just work one area and come back tomorrow! Better to search one area properly than rush around and miss that perfect piece! i tend to stay away from vintage shoes... I don't like the look of scuffed heels on a pair of worn shoes.

Hope this helps! And remember, pop round and visit your grandparents, befriend those long lost great Aunts and share a pot of tea. And search their wardrobes!! xxxx LondonModelCitizen xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below, I take the time to read every single one! I love to read them, they inspire me to keep posting! THANKS X

Do you like this post?

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...